Machu Picchu also called Machu Pikchu is an Inca site belong to 15th-century. Among lots of amazing mysteries about Machu Picchu, one is that it located 2,430 meters above sea level. The exact location of Macho Picchu is Cusco Region that is situated in Machupicchu District of Peru.
Machu Picchu, the lost city of Peru, is mysterious and one of the most beloved visiting places for the tourists, belong to any part of globe. The mystery behind Machu Picchu’s history and its really inspiring ruins of hidden city are enough to spell bound anyone, who visits this beautiful place. Machu Picchu is located in Peru in the northwest of its famous city Cusco and at a distance of 80 km from the centre of city.
The story behind rediscovery of Machu Picchu is very interesting. Hiram Bingham, an American explorer, revealed this lost city in front of the world in 1911 and later named it as Machu Picchu. Hiram Bingham had taken the samples of bones and precious gem stones and placed it in Yale University for further research.
Archeologists found that this city was built around 1450 AD that was the era of Inca Empire. The astonishing feature of Machu Picchu is its ruins that are still distinguishable and we can see the remains of almost 150 buildings. These ancient structures comprise the ruins of houses, temples, sanctuaries etc. Today, Machu Picchu has two crowns that are of being listed in seven new wonders of the world and a part of UNESCO World Heritage list as well.
The strange thing is that, this site is approximately alienated into an agricultural sector and urban sector. The warehouses are the part of the lower town whereas; temples are the part of upper town. The construction is modified to the natural shape of the mountains. About 200 buildings are set on broad similar terraces around a gigantic central square that is leaning east-west. The diverse compounds or kanchas are lengthy and slim with the aim of developing the territory.
Wide-ranging patios were used for cultivation and complicated conduit system to facilitate the irrigation for the fields. Many stone staircases put in the walls to allow the entrée to the diverse levels crossways the site. It seems that he eastern portion of the city was used for dwelling. However, the western part was reserved for spiritual and ritual purposes. This part includes the massive tower “Torreón” which is thought to be used as an observatory.